Saturday 19 December 2009

Avatar (James Cameron, 2009)

The lead up to the release of this film was insane. I tried to keep a small distance from the hype, as I have been previously let down by hype.
I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D, having already experienced IMAX I knew I was in for a high quality experience. However, nothing could have prepared me for how overwhelmingly accomplished this film is.
To make a titanic statement (excuse the pun): 3D was created for this film. 3D was made to bring this film to life. It was invented to make this film possible. James Cameron has pioneered the future of 3D and I will forever be grateful of that from this moment on.
I still cannot believe that every living creature on Pandora was computer generated. The images were so complete, meticulously detailed. I’ll forever be impressed by their mouths.
The narrative is basic and therefore easy to follow. A more intricate storyline would have been too demanding given the visual banquet laid out on screen. Boy meets girl, learns girl’s way of life, boy and girl fall in love, a misunderstanding pulls them apart, boy is redeemed, world is (somewhat) saved, victory for the underdogs. It is a narrative that has been repeated throughout cinema history, so it is easy to follow and relate to. That narrative schema is switched on from the beginning. Yet again, the story needs to be something familiar, because the world of Pandora is so new and unfamiliar. The Na’vi (the indigenous people of Pandora), although yes, they are blue, still have familiar features, which are easily relatable to a member of the human race. It is not difficult to suture yourself into the narrative and emotionally move along with it and its characters’ plight.
Sam Worthington was exceptional as Jake Sully. As a relatively unknown (besides his starring role in Terminator Salvation) Avatar is going to propel him to super-stardom, much like Titanic did to DiCaprio. I will be incredibly surprised if it doesn’t. Along with his co-star Zoe Saldana – who is entirely computer generated throughout. Other stars, such as, Sigourney Weaver (as Dr. Grace Augustine), Giovanni Ribisi (as Parker Selfridge) and Stephen Lang (as Colonel Miles Quaritch), are on top form, playing distinguishable stereotypes, the passionate, fiery scientist, the ruthless business man and the hard-nosed, archetypal Marine. More complex personality traits to categorise the human cast may have taken too much concentration to understand them as well as having to become familiar with a whole another world of people, who do not share our basic needs or way of life.
With a duration time of almost three hours long, I thought the film would be drawn out and I would be wishing for it to end. I was not, and I could have continued to watch Avatar for hours and hours on end.

Someone described their experience of seeing Avatar as equivalent to those of the older generation who remembers seeing Star Wars for the very first time on the big screen. I have to agree. This film will change cinema visually from now on, I hope. 3D abuse will – HOPEFULLY – be left in the past. And I also hope that other filmmakers realise the extent to which 3D can be used to enhance the diegetic world and not used to the discomfort the audience. Space and depth perception makes the screen come alive. I have experienced this with other recent 3D films (Coraline, for example), but not to the same degree as with Avatar.
I haven’t yet seen Avatar in 2D, but I will, after another 3D experience. I do already have my next cinema trip lined-up!

5 comments:

  1. I've not seen the film yet, but judging from the trailers, it looks very like white frontiersman goes native, discovers his own kind are the savages and fights for the rights of the natives. Another Western in space. And while I'm on my soapbox, Cameron's technology has a lot to thank Weta for. Most of his innovations are slight improvements to work on previous films by Dreamworks, Weta and ILM. From what I can ascertain, the Volume is the only step forward (the virtual soundstage with places actors motion-capture immediately onto a low res virtual set on a screen) and a more sensitive facial mo-cap. Having said that, just about everyone is raving about it, so he must have gotten something right ;)
    Jenny B

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward to seeing this tomorrow or the next day, although i don't know what "d" I'll be seeing it in, but from your review it seems 3d seems to be the one to see it in. Gotta say from the trailers i wasn't expecting much beyond "spetacle" (indeed, I'm still reeling from my 2012 experience - if that is anything to go by I hope the world does end in 2012!, although as someone pointed out to me t'other day, what was i expecting from Roland E!!); but your review fills me with some hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. went to see this in 2d today and was very impressed, mostly about the whole visual spectacle, but it would be unfair to distill the pleasures of this movie down to special effects only, as it has a little more substace to it (if only a little)
    However, visual effects are the film's most impressive element so lets start there. On seeing the trailer of this film i was reticent about the visual effects - maybe it was the fleeting glimpses but, in the trailer, the effects (CGI) seemed incredibly cartoon-like. That said, in the film proper, the visual effects of this film are little short of SPELLBINDING!!! Not just there deployment, but the design of the Pandora world in Avatar is astonishing aswell. It the first film I've seen since Jackson's Rings trilogy that has restored my faith in the (careful, please , directors!) progress of cinema technology.
    Indeed, I bought into the "reality" of Pandora's fantasy world more than I did the ostensiby 'real' imploding cityscpaes of Emmerich's 2012.
    OK, the narrative/plot ain't exactly awash with detailed, in-depth characters and/or psychologal insight, or any sense of ongoing development/surprise (i'd guessed the lead would join the na-vi about 40 mins into the film).
    But the film does posit some inteliigently articulated, albeit over-generalised, thematic parrallels: the obvious post-Inconvienient Truth enviromental concerns (of which Avatar offers a sort of parable); the obvious parallel to American's imperialist greed for iraq's natural oil resources, and also a kind of revisiting to Vietnam-type conflicts (metaphorically speaking),the adoption of typical "Nam-speak" zsuch as "clicks."
    Acting wise i found i pretty standard, the marine commander being the most impressive performance I thought.
    Overall, i thought it was a great film of its type - well-paced, hypnotically-beautiful to look at, and, for a Hollywood film (with a budget big enough to wipe out a third of the African continent's debt in one fell swoop), it had enough interesting thematic resonances to (partially, reservedly) restore my faith in both Hollywood and Cameron.
    And, although I won't be selling my Ingmar Bergman box-set just yet, if Hollywood films like this can continue to merge spellbinding sfx with enough of the other things any avergely-intelligent film goer requires of his or her cinema (Character, story, narrative form, themtic resonance, plot-stucture), then things might not be as glum as I initially thought when exiting my viewing of the execrable 2012!
    DAVE
    PS: Oooh must say, he well knicked the floating mountains thing from the back of a Roger Dean-designed Yes album of the early seventies. But you gotta get your ideas from somewhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: boy does the remake of the universal forties classic the wolfman with benicio del toro and anthony hopkins look great
    although my next viewing, i think, will be "nowhere boy" is it called?? something like that; the Lennon biopic that deals with his early Liverpool/Hamburg years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. It's called Nowhere Boy. That'll be my next screening also (after seeing Avatar again this afternoon, haha). I read in the 'Little White Lies' independent film magazine that it's not as great as it could be, but I still have hope for it.

    ReplyDelete